Vegetable Masala Rice
|Cook Time||30 – 60 minutes|
- 5 kg rice
- 2½ kg mixed vegetables (sweetcorn, green peas, chopped pepper, carrot and green beans)
- 2½ kg sliced onions
- 5 kg tomatoes
- 25 1-inch pieces of chopped ginger
- 70–80 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 60–70 green chillies (slit vertically)
- 50 cloves
- 50 cardamom
- 20 bay leaves
- 10 1-inch pieces of cinnamon sticks
- 50 black peppercorns
- 3 Tbsp cumin seed
- 10 Tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Coriander to garnish
- Wash the rice and soak it for half an hour then drain.
- To cook the rice add boiling water; one and a half times the quantity of rice in a large vessel.
- Add 4 Tbsp of salt and 10 tsp of oil and stir well.
- Close the lid and keep it on low flame till all the water is absorbed.
- Switch off the flame and let it cool. Do not open the lid till the rice has cooled down.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a pan and add the spices (cumin, clove, cardamom, cinnamon and bay leaves) for the masala.
- Add ginger, garlic and chillies next and sauté.
- Then add onions and cook till they are soft and translucent.
- Once onions are cooked well add the tomatoes and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add salt to taste and all the mixed vegetables and cook everything together well.
- Finally add this mixed vegetable masala to the cooked rice. Do not use a spoon to mix the rice as it can break it, instead use a fork or mix it by hand.
- Add the chopped coriander leaves to garnish and serve hot with choice of curry or yogurt.
Share this Recipe