Charquican De Cochayuyo
|Cook Time||30 – 60 minutes|
- 4 potatoes cut into medium cubes
- 1½ cup pumpkin cut into cubes
- 1 small onion
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 small corn (shelled)
- 1 Tbsp finely cubed red pepper
- ½ cup chopped cochayuyo (Chilean tubular seaweed)
- Alternatively use soya (textured vegetable protein)
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 Tbsp ghee (clarified butter) or oil
- ½ tsp cumin
- finely cubed garlic clove
- Hydrate the cochayuyo the night before, then rinse thoroughly with water.
- In a pot, place the pumpkin and potatoes and cover with water.
- Cook over a high heat for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add corn and wait 5 - 10 minutes until all vegetables are cooked.
- Strain excess water from the pot.
- Wash and cut into small cubes (brunoise) onion, carrot, cochayuyo and garlic, then set aside.
- In a skillet, apply ghee or oil, and fry the onions for 5 minutes first.
- Then add the carrots, garlic, cochayuyo, cumin and salt and cook for 10 minutes.
- Once the vegetables are ready, add potatoes, pumpkin and corn into the skillet. Stir together and mash with a fork or potato masher and then it is ready to serve.
Share this Recipe