- 1 kg corn flour
- 2 kg (quesillo) cheese
- 1 medium grated carrot
- 1 medium (ayote) grated squash
- 275 g refried red beans
- 225 g chopped coriander
- 225 chopped loroco (a flower of El Salvador)
- ½ (a flower of El Salvador)
- 1 sliced onion
- 500 mL vinegar
- 6 tomatoes
- 50 g oregano
- 100 mL oil
- Salt and pepper
- To prepare the corn dough: in a bowl place the corn flour and keep adding water and knead until the dough becomes soft.
- To prepare the Pupusas filling: mix all the refried red beans, vegetables and herbs with the cheese and keep aside. Different combinations of fillings that you prefer can be made.
- To prepare “curtido” (lightly fermented cabbage relish): mix the chopped cabbage, sliced onion, vinegar and part of the oregano, season with salt and pepper then put it in a container for at least for 4 hours before you are going to eat it.
- To prepare the sauce: in a cooking pot put the tomatoes with water and season with salt, pepper and oregano.
- When the tomatoes are cooked, liquefy in a blender and put it back into the pot until the sauce is boiled.
- To prepare the pupusas: take a portion of the corn dough and fill it with any combination of flavour filling you choose.
- Close up the edges of the small round tortilla and pat it into a flat thick tortilla.
- Place it into a frying pan and cook on both sides for a few minutes.
- Serve with the tomato sauce and curtido (cabbage relish).