Spinach Balls in Courgette Sauce
|Cook Time||30 minutes|
- 600 g spinach leaves (washed thoroughly)
- 100 g breadcrumbs
- 50 g any vegetarian hard cheese (freshly grated)
- 2 medium garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2–3 Tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 300 g dry pasta – penne/farfalle/fusilli (you can use whole meal)
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 180°C/ 360°F
- Blanch the spinach leaves in a pan of salted, boiling water for 1-2 minutes, drain well and refresh in cold water.
- Using your hands, squeeze out as much water from the blanched spinach leaves as possible, then finely chop the spinach.
- Transfer the chopped spinach to a bowl and add nutmeg, chopped garlic, breadcrumbs and cheese.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Mix well until the mixture binds together. Add more breadcrumbs or more water as necessary, to bind the mixture.
- Roll the spinach mixture into small balls and place onto a lightly greased baking tray to bake for 30 minutes turning halfway.
Courgette sauce and pasta
- Heat a few dashes of oil in a frying pan over a medium heat.
- Add garlic and chilli flakes and fry for 1-2 minutes until softened.
- Add the grated courgettes and continue to fry for 5-6 minutes or until the courgettes soften.
- Cook the pasta in another pot with boiling water (add a pinch of salt and 1 tablespoon of olive oil) and cook for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Add cheese to the courgette pan and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Mix until well combined, then stir in some reserved cooking water from the pasta.
- Toss the boiled pasta in the courgette sauce for 2 minutes.
- To serve, divide the pasta, and sauce equally among four serving plates.
- Place the baked spinach dumplings on top.
Share this Recipe