|Cook Time||60+ minutes|
- 85 g butter (plus extra for greasing)
- 2 Tbsp golden syrup
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 300 g self rising flour
- 100 g caster sugar
- 25 g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 1. Heat oven to 140 °C / 280 °F and grease a 20 cm round cake tin with butter.
- Add butter, syrup, and vanilla into a heatproof jug, then add 300 mL of boiling water and briefly whisk to combine.
- Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, and bicarbonate soda into a large bowl.
- Pour the butter mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until you have a smooth batter.
- Fill the prepared tin with the batter.
- Bake for 50–55 minutes until the cake is well risen and springy to touch.
- Cool the cake in the tin for around 15 minutes before turning over onto a cool wire rack.
- Add vanilla butter cream or any chosen flavour, then add any chocolate decorations for an extra delicious chocolate treat.
Share this Recipe