Chestnut & Sweet Potato Soup
|Cook Time||30 minutes|
- 20 chestnuts (or one 180g vacuum packed ready to use peeled and prepared chestnuts.)
- 2 large onions
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1–2 Tbsp olive oil for frying onions
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tsp (5g) fresh thyme and/or sage
- 1 lemon or lemon juice
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Green chilli (optional)
- 1 vegetarian stock cube
- 10 g toasted pine nuts per bowl/serving
- Roast and peel chestnuts – this can be done in advance.
- Roughly chop and fry onions in olive oil with 3 cloves garlic and chillies until tender.
- Peel and cook sweet potatoes until tender (boil, steam or roast in the oven).
- Add sweet potatoes and chestnuts into the saucepan of fried onions and garlic and stir.
- Dissolve the vegetable stock in at least 500 ml of water and add to the saucepan and allow contents to simmer.
- Flavour with plenty of lemon juice and salt to taste.
- Depending on desired consistency blend the mixture, adding water if required.
- For garnish, toast pine nuts on a low heat in a single layer, no oil required. Turn frequently until golden brown. Sprinkle pine nuts over soup and enjoy!